Wednesday, June 18

Most Embarrassing Moments

Everyone has one. Most people have a few. I have more than my share. And it's not just tripping over my own feet where a few people see it and we all move on. Mine leave scars. There's the scar on one of my eyebrows where I ran into a chainsaw (it was off) when I was 5. There's the one on the side of my leg where I was jumping on the crowbar trying to get the lug nuts loose to change a tire. Trust me, there are more, but that requires a book - not a post. Scars are visible reminders that I am a klutz. And, since they're there, I have to explain them. So that everyone else knows I am a klutz.

Well, I have a new moment. I shut my finger in the car door. The middle finger of my right hand (yep, I'm right-handed). I'm not sure I'll have a permanent scar, but I've been in a stupid finger splint for two weeks and that is plenty. I knew it was bad - I thought it was broken. I was putting my kids in the car, had just finished strapping Colby in and - *BAM*! Oh, man. I'm not going to go into detail. But I had to get on my knees in the garage for a minute to recover.

I took the kids to school and drove myself to my doctor's office. He looked at it and decided it was broken so he sent me for an x-ray. Now, if your finger is crooked and looks broken and they decide that it's not - it's bad. Turns out, I damaged everything else in my finger. Nerves, ligaments, blood vessels. He told me I'd probably wish I had broken it before it was all over. He was right.

I'm finally (after two weeks) out of the splint. I'm typing but every time I hit the "I", "K" or comma it sends tingles up that finger. I can't grip anything with that finger and if I shake that hand (like you would shake water off after washing your hands) it feels like the end of my finger is coming off.

So, there you have it. I won't say my most embarrassing moment, but my most recent embarrassing moment.

No comments: