Tuesday, November 25

A Time for Thanksgiving

There is a lot going on to be worried about in this country. I understand that. But Thursday is Thanksgiving here. So, I thought it would do me some good to make a list of all the things I'm thankful for...(I believe in being specific, so it's not your standard list)
  • I'm thankful that I was born in the USA. Particularly in the Southern US. This is truly the best country in the world - even with all of our problems. We have freedom to speak and worship as we please. I love the south. I would never live anywhere else. We have seasons here, mountains, lakes, cities, country areas. If Tennessee had a beach, it would be a perfect state.
  • I'm thankful that my dad quit his job in east Tennessee (30 years ago) because he wanted to be back in Nashville. Even though I don't think my mom spoke to him for several months. Not only is the city a great place to be, being in the same city as Vanderbilt Hospital saved my mom's life all those years ago.
  • I'm thankful for Vanderbilt Hospital. I'm convinced that, second only to prayer, they kept my mother alive for 25 years. They are caring and understanding. Honest, but gentle. They treat patients and families with respect. I've taken my son to the ER and he's had eye surgery there. And I have never had a bad experience with that hospital or any of its employees.
  • I'm thankful that my boss (at one of my summer jobs in college) found out through the grapevine I had broken up with my boyfriend. And that she walked in one day and announced to my entire office how sorry she was, even though at the time I was mortified. And I'm thankful those co-workers decided I couldn't spend the summer alone and decided to fix me up with Glenn. It's the only time I was fixed-up and it's worked out pretty well.
  • I'm thankful that I have boys. I joke that I prayed for patience and God gave me boys. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't know what in the world I would do with girls anyway.
  • I'm thankful my little one won't sleep in his own bed right now. He sleeps with his brother. I hear Garrett reading to Colby. I hear them say "Goodnight" and "I love you" and lay in bed & giggle.
  • I'm thankful for the Cub Scouts. Let me tell you, this is the best organization for boys I have ever seen. They teach respect, loyalty, reverence, self-reliance, kindness, etc. I'm proud to be involved with them.
  • I'm thankful for my job. Though I wish I didn't have one, I'm happy with the one I've got. I'm thankful for its flexibility, its generousity, its paycheck.
  • I'm thankful for my neighborhood and neighbors. I live in a six-house circle and I may never move! It's amazing how much alike we all are and how much we get along. These people are my extended family.
  • I'm thankful for the elementary school. It's almost directly across the street from my backyard. We have never been disappointed in any of the teachers. The parents are extremely active in the school and it is one of the best in the county.
  • I'm thankful to be a Christian. I'm thankful for my church family. I'm thankful that I can go anywhere in the country and feel at home in worship service.
  • I'm thankful for Freed-Hardeman. No, I did not meet my husband there. But I got my education there. I lived there for 4 years. No, Henderson isn't my favorite town - I'm more of a city-girl. But it gave me a chance to be away from home. To learn to be responsible. To make friends that I will always have.
  • I'm thankful that almost 7 years ago when I announced it was time to move, my husband didn't blink. I know he would have been happy to stay in Smyrna forever. He knew I wouldn't. He knew I wanted to be closer to my parents - especially my mom. He knew I wanted our child (the only one we had at the time) to spend a lot of time with her. So, we moved.
  • I'm thankful for Dave Ramsey. I found his show in graduate school and have never looked back. We've been debt free (except for the house) for just over 8 years. It gives us a peace of mind that a lot of people don't have.

This is in no way complete; there is so much more. I may have more tomorrow, who knows. My point is, we should always be thankful for what we have - especially in tough times.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: