Wednesday, January 21

Inauguration Day

I didn't watch it. And before you say I'm some bitter old Republican, let me clue you in. I am not Republican. I generally support the Republican party because it is more conservative than the Democratic party. Simple as that. I am not old - I'm 36. And I'm not bitter, disappointed, but not bitter. Also, I never watch inaugurations. N.E.V.E.R. I work.

Let me say this first: I am proud of this country. Every 4 years we have a peaceful transfer of power. Yesterday was historic as the first African-American took the oath of office. I'm proud that we've moved past the civil rights violations of 50 years ago. I'm proud that most of us looked past color when we voted.

But I am concerned. I do not think that America needs to be "re-made" or "re-born" or any of the other "re" words he used in his speech. I do not think that the government needs to provide jobs, healthcare, retirement, or any of the other things we, as free people, should take care of ourselves. I do not believe that the question is "whether or not the government works" but I believe the question is "whether it is too big or too small". He got that backward.

And I am offended. DEEPLY offended by that "prayer". In case you only watch the main-stream media, here is an excerpt:

'Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the
joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will
not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around... when the red man can
get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do
justice and love mercy say Amen. Say Amen'...


Every word of that inauguration is planned and approved. If not by Obama himself, by someone on his staff. And I think someone needs to apologize to the American people - Christians in particular.

I'm very afraid it's going to be a long 4 years.

No comments: