Monday, February 9

Musical Memories

In college, I was in a chorus called the Sonshine Singers. I absolutely loved it. I did it all 4 years and the best friends I have from college are from that group. The best memories I have are also from our perfomances and trips across the eastern US. There are times I miss singing in a group like that. Sometimes, I even miss the long trips on the bus. I always miss seeing my friends from that time and wish I could see them more.

Last night in church, I had a flashback. Our songleader led a song that we used to sing during performances. This happens all the time. Sometimes I have trouble singing the song because we sang it slightly different or because it makes me miss it more than usual. Sometimes it's because it's funny. Missed lines, messed up words, the little jokes we would play on each other & our director.

But this one was laugh out loud funny for some reason. I don't know why, really. We've sung this song before. It just struck me wrong last night. The name of the song is "Power in the Blood" and it was in our show one year. We used to spread out during church service and then we'd go to the front after service was over to perform. The songleader that night led that song. And was very demonstrative during the song. VERY. It's hard to describe. And we were all sort of snickering, because we were about to get up and sing the very same song...We didn't. As a matter of fact, our director told us before we started - we're not doing that song.

For some reason, last night, it was just plain funny. And you know how it is...everything is funnier when you're not supposed to be laughing!

No comments: