Thursday, September 10

September 11

Tomorrow is September 11. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was in the kitchen helping my barely 1-year old eat breakfast when my phone rang. We hadn't even turned the TV on in my house yet. So, I turned it on and didn't even settle on the couch, just sat on the edge of the coffee table mesmerized and unbearably sad. By the time I saw it, both towers had been hit. But everything else, I saw live.

Use this weekend to thank someone. A soldier, firefighter, police officer. Remember the New York City firefighters and police officers rushed into those buildings while everyone else was rushing out. Remember that police officers and firefighters all over this country do the same thing every day to protect those they serve.

Remember that our military is stationed all over the world to protect us and others from the same fate. They are away from their friends and families for months, maybe even years, at a time. Remember that our military is 100% volunteer.

Celebrate the unity this country achieved on that day. Celebrate the freedom we have to speak out against policies with which we disagree or in support of those with which we agree without retribution.

Pray for those that lead us. Pray for those that protect us. Pray for those that hate us. Pray that our children never have to experience something like that.

No comments: