Tuesday, March 18

The Best Laid Plans

So. Last Thursday night when I got home all my boys were at soccer practice. I took that opportunity to do the weekly cleaning so I could relax for the weekend. We had tons to do on Saturday and I wanted to relax on Sunday. The soccer game was rained out, but we made it to everything else on Saturday and had a busy - but great - day.

On Sunday I had big plans. After church service we came home. I wanted to play outside some, come in and watch the basketball game then take the boys to an egg hunt at the church my sister attends. During the "play outside" part of the plan, the boys (this includes the 4 neighbor boys) decided they wanted to hit golf balls in the yard. We have rules for this and they follow them pretty well - usually.

While we were looking at my neighbor's new van, we heard it. The scream that sends chills down every parent's spine and freezes your blood. And it was mine. Garrett had been hit with a golf ball on the outer corner of his left eyebrow. Oh, man. It was bad - I thought about taking pictures, but really, who wants to see that? I didn't, but I had to look and now I see it when I close my eyes.

My neighbor agreed to keep my Colby until my dad could get there to take him to the egg hunt. While the rest of us climed in the car and drove to Vanderbilt. All our plans went up in smoke and we spend the afternoon "relaxing" at the ER. No game, no selection show, no egg hunt, and no evening service. But, he's okay. He's okay.

He's okay. It missed his eye and didn't break any bones. We are unbelievably grateful for that and know how much worse it could have been. As it is, he has 5 stitches, had to miss his soccer game last night. It isn't going to interfere with the eye surgery he has to have next week.

But yesterday was PICTURE DAY at school. So, in his second grade class picture he has a big band-aid over his left eye. Lessons learned.

No comments: