Monday, October 6

It just gets better and better!

No this isn't a football blog - I just can't help myself!

Check this out:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

Vanderbilt hasn't been 5-0 since 1943. They haven't beaten Auburn since 1955. They haven't been ranked since 1984. There are a couple of other things that haven't been done in a while, but they haven't reached those goals just yet...

I'll be 36 next month and I've been a Vandy fan since I was old enough to say "Go 'Dores". I tell my husband (the UT fan) I was raised right. I've been through it all: the 24 years between UT wins, the multiple seasons without an SEC win. I was at the game where they broke a several season streak and won an SEC game. The one where the cops ran the students off the field before they got to the goal posts. I've been to games with less attendance than the local high schools have. I've been to the UT games with more orange in the stands than gold, the Alabama games with more red. I've been to games and stayed to the bitter end while the stadium emptied. I've watched them lead teams going into the 4th quarter only to blow it. I've listened to the local sports guys say they shouldn't even be in the SEC. (side note here: football is the only sport in which they don't compete with the rest of the conference, so there was never any real reason for them to be out). I've watched the seasons where they start 4-0 (most recently 2005) only to miss out on a bowl game because they blew the rest of the season.

My point is I am a true fan. There are a lot of us out there. As a Vanderbilt fan, you learn not to trash talk. You learn to cheer quietly. You learn to be proud of the small accomplishments. And we are finally starting to get louder. We are finally starting to be rewarded. And we are nervous. (I watched Saturday night's game between my fingers.) But we are proud and we believe...

GO VANDY!

No comments: